Here are the e-mailed rules solutions that we received from members regarding the situation that Wendy Storey found herself in a bunker during the 54-Hole Masters Championship at NSGC – photo opposite:
· Answer 1: “Rule 24-1 b Wendy may lift her ball, remove the rake, then drop the ball in the bunker. She may clean the ball when doing so”.
· Answer 2: “Mark the ball. Remove the rake and if the ball moves replace it to where it was. If it moves gently push it into the sand. Play your shot and hope you knock it stiff!”
· Answer 3: “With the ball resting up against the rake in the bunker - the ball should be marked where it came to rest - the rake is removed and if the ball moves, the ball has to be replaced where it came to rest!”
· Answer 4: “As I understand it in these circumstances it is permissible to mark the position of the ball with say a tee first. Then remove the rake [a movable obstruction]. If the ball doesn’t move, play it as it lies. If it does move, replace the ball by dropping as near to the marker as possible but no nearer the hole, remove the marker and play the ball without penalty. Prior to dropping the ball may be cleaned. [Rule 24-1]”
· Answer 5: “Carefully move the rake so the ball falls onto the sand, no closer to the pin. Play the ball as it lies. Don't touch the ball”.
Thanks for taking the trouble to let us know your thoughts as to the best way to approach this little rules teaser.
The most complete/correct answers are Answer 1 and 4. We certainly have some rules hot shots at this club, so watch out when you’re out there playing and make sure you always do the right thing!
The complete answer from the R & A Rules of Golf is as follows:
Page 105: Rule 24-1 (b). Movable Obstruction:
“If the ball lies in or on the obstruction, the ball may be lifted and the obstruction removed. The ball must through the green or in a hazard be dropped, or on the putting green be placed, as near as possible to the spot directly under the place where the ball lay in or on the obstruction, but not nearer the hole. The ball may be cleaned when lifted under this Rule”.
I am so excited about the impact our amazing “Dad’s Army”